Find harmony amidst the many situations life throws at you by combining essential oils and calming techniques.
Before you jump into our tips, get a refresher on the best ways to use essential oils. Some of our easiest usage tips for topical and aromatic oils include:
• Gently rubbing oil between your hands and taking deep breaths while cupping your hands close to your nose.
• Applying oil to the nape of your neck or to pulse points, such as your wrists or temples.
• Diffusing oil in your space, whether at home, in the office, or in the car.
• Placing a few drops on your favorite diffuser jewelry or piece of clothing and using for inhalation.
Hit every red light on your morning commute? Find a passive-aggressive email in your inbox? Some days it feels like nothing is going right, and other days you simply wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Whatever the source of your frustration, take a minute to refocus and realign with these ideas.
Our favorite oils for irritability:
• Stress Away™: Unwind with this relaxing and comforting aroma.
• Forgiveness™: Forgive yourself and others with a scent that invites you to release negative feelings.
• Release™: Let go of anger and frustration and promote a balanced atmosphere with this rich, grounding aroma.
Try it yourself—use your favorite essential oil usage technique and try one of the suggestions below:
• Give yourself a 10-minute “time out” to wind down and refocus.
• Call a close friend or family member and talk it out.
• Take care of your basic needs. A quick nap or snack can do wonders when it comes to moodiness from lack of sleep or food.
• Get away for a minute with a book break, nature walk, or dance session with your favorite jam.
• Practice a positive affirmation: I am loving and forgiving.
Some days you just don’t feel like yourself. Whether you know the cause—an unexpected breakup or unresolved argument—or you’re simply stuck in a rut, being proactive about your feelings can help you take control. Try on some of the suggestions below and speak with a trusted friend to work through your emotions.
Our favorite oils for feeling stuck:
Sacred Mountain™: Promote feelings of strength, empowerment, grounding, and protection with this earthy aroma.
Tangerine or Grapefruit: Uplift your day with a bright, cheery scent.
Hope™: Restore your faith and reconnect with strength and stability with this grounding aroma.
Try it yourself—use your favorite usage technique and try one of the suggestions below:
• Focus on yourself. Schedule time every day for 30 minutes or more of self-care.
• Give yourself a treat with a relaxing night in.
• Write it out. Journal about your feelings, create a gratitude list, or write a thoughtful card to someone you’re grateful for.
• Practice a positive affirmation: I choose and deserve to be happy.
Between bills to pay, permission slips to sign, cupboards to fill, and texts to respond to, it’s no surprise that you sometimes feel like there are too many tabs open in your computer and in your mind. In the midst of the chaos, take a moment to center your life with the ideas below.
Our favorite oils for feeling overwhelmed:
Transformation™: Surround yourself with a scent that helps you replace negative beliefs with uplifting thoughts.
Peace & Calming®: Harness your positive energy with this relaxing and comforting aroma.
Grounding™: Diffuse this scent to enhance spirituality or encourage feelings of clarity.
Try it yourself—use your favorite usage technique and try one of the suggestions below:
• Focus on mindfulness and the present moment with a breathing exercise.
• Practice the art of delegation.
• Remember to let yourself say no to some things.
• Prioritize your to-do list. Once you know what’s most important, you’ll feel empowered to get started.
• Practice a positive affirmation: I let go of feeling overwhelmed, so I can see clearly.
The holiday season has officially began! No need to stress; we’ve got you covered with everything you’ll need to survive shopping this holiday season!
• Waking up extra early? Or maybe you were out too late with friends and family. Luckily, we have a secret weapon! NingXia Nitro® is a must this holiday season, and not just for the shopping survival. With NingXia Nitro, you’ll get a quick pick-me-up without the sugar or caffeine overload.* Infused with essential oils, botanical extracts, D-ribose, Korean ginseng, and green tea extract, NingXia Nitro supports alertness, as well as cognitive and physical fitness to give you the natural kick you need!*
• Smell good and feel good with Stress Away™ Roll-On. Swipe some Stress Away on your neck and wrists when you are out fighting crowds and waiting in long lines trying not to get caught up in the craziness. The relaxing, comforting aroma is perfect for applying to your wrists or your neck while you are on the go! You may even want to offer some to angry shoppers waiting in line with you! The combination of Vanilla and Lime is a wonderful conversation starter.
• Cold, dry lips abound in the wintertime, unfortunately. Cinnamint Lip Balm moisturizes and protects lips with a few simple, natural ingredients. It’s also great to swipe on knuckles and hands when they need a soothing balm after being out in the chilly wind. Lip balm ingredients: Cocos nucifera (Coconut) oil, Beeswax, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet almond) oil, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil, Lycium barbarum (Wolfberry) seed oil, Rosa rubiginosa (Rose hip) seed oil, Tocopherol, Mentha piperita† (Peppermint) oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis† (Orange) peel oil, Mentha spicata† (Spearmint) leaf extract, Cinnamomum zeylanicum† (Cinnamon) bark oil
• Protect yourself from all the yuckiness you may encounter in the crowds of people and dirty stores this season. Thieves® Spray and Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier are no-brainers! Quick and convenient, Thieves Spray is ideal for cleaning small surfaces such as shopping carts, door handles, and steering wheels. Thieves Spray uses only naturally derived, plant-based ingredients and the powerful spicy-citrus scent of Thieves essential oil blend. It’s safe to use around children and the perfect size to keep with you on the go!
Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier is quick and convenient for clean hands at any store! Use it for yourself or for your little ones with you! Infused with Thieves and Peppermint essential oils, along with aloe, Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier cleanses, purifies, and soothes skin, leaving a pleasant, spicy-sweet scent.
• After your shopping, unwind with Peace & Calming®! A blend of Ylang Ylang, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Blue Tansy, Peace & Calming is the perfect for helping you relax and unwind after fighting crowds, traffic, and long lines all day. The sweet, relaxing aroma can help create the peaceful atmosphere you need after a hectic day! Try adding a few drops to an Epsom salt bath or diffuse it in your room at bedtime!
We hope our holiday shopping survival kit gets you ready for the holiday season and helps you find the perfect gifts for your loved ones. More importantly, we hope it helps you shop quickly, so you can spend more time with your family and loved ones this holiday season!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Young Living products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Essential oils are precious to the very end, but when the final drop makes its way out of the dropper, then what? If you’re an essential oil lover, chances are you’ve wondered what to do with the little amber bottles you have lying around. We’ve got 21 options to keep those bottles functional to the last drop of oil and beyond!
YL tip: Some of these ideas require a clean essential oil bottle. To clean your bottle, peel off the label as much as you can, remove the oil dropper and all parts of the cap, and place all the pieces in a bowl of warm water with half a capful of Thieves® Household Cleaner. Soak everything for 10 minutes, then use 1 drop of Lemon essential oil on a cotton ball to get rid of any sticky remains of the label.
1. Create your own DIY roll-on with your favorite essential oils and some V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex. Check out our post for some ideas to get started.
2. Infuse Epsom salt with the last few drops of oil in the bottle. Remove the lid and oil dropper from a mostly empty EO bottle. Put the bottle, dropper, and 1 cup of Epsom salt in a sealed container for at least 48 hours. Open it up and voilà: bath salts infused with a soothing aroma! Even better, you can add multiple bottles to a container of Epsom salt to get different infusions with stronger scents.
3. Make a centerpiece with one or two flowers in the bottles, turning them into little bud vases.
4. Jazz up your twinkly lights! Thoroughly clean your empty bottles, remove the oil dropper and all parts of the cap, and gently press the bottle over each bulb on a string of lights. These are a great additional to any holiday party.
5. Fill a bottle with your carrier oil of choice to have on the go.
6. Create a DIY face serum to add moisture to your skin care routine. Our top picks are Geranium, Tea Tree, and Rosemary. Store your new serum in an empty essential oil bottle.
7. Use the bottles to hold your toiletries for travel. Things like hair oil, face serum, and baby powder fit easily in a little EO bottle; plus, they’ll free up that much-needed space in your carry-on.
8. Try your hand at a DIY custom blend with the last few drops of your favorite oils. You’ll love creating a unique aroma to use in your diffuser, and you can store your creation in an empty oil bottle.
9. Infuse a cotton ball with remaining oil and use it as a multipurpose deodorizer. Stuff a cotton ball in the bottle, put the lid back on, and leave it for three days. Take the cotton ball out—use tweezers if necessary—and place it anywhere that could benefit from a refreshing scent: inside stinky shoes, at the bottom of a trash can, in a gym bag, and any other place that needs an aromatic makeover.
10. Share your most-used oil with a friend by putting some of it in a clean, empty bottle.
11. Put together an essential oil travel kit by putting smaller amounts of the oils you use most--plus some of our recommendations—in empty 5-ml bottles. Put the collection in a cosmetic bag so it’s ready to go when you are.
12. Take your empty bottles to a local glass recycler.
13. Refresh your drawers or closets by removing the lid of a nearly empty bottle and letting the aroma permeate the space. Make sure to position the bottle where it won’t tip—you wouldn’t want to spill anything on your favorite sweater!
14. Make an all-natural perfume or cologne. Store your signature scent in a clean, empty bottle.
15. Use the last of the oil to make a mattress refresher. Instead of cleaning out the bottle, fill it ¾ full with baking soda. Allow it to sit overnight for the baking soda to absorb the oil fully. Sprinkle the mixture over your mattress and let it sit for an hour; then vacuum up the baking soda and breathe in the freshness!
16. Make smelling salts for when you want a fresh fragrance around. Fill a clean, empty bottle with Epsom salt, add 4 drops of a refreshing scent—we love Spearmint—and shake well. Open the cap and inhale whenever you need a whiff of something fresh.
17. Dilute your go-to oils for use with kids. See our handy guide for diluting oils for use with children and babies.
18. Divide oils into two bottles. Keep the regular top on one bottle and add a roller top to the other, so you can easily use your favorite oil in multiple ways.
19. Make your own flavored toothpicks with the remainder of your Vitality™ oils. Cinnamon Bark Vitality, Peppermint Vitality, and even Citrus Fresh™ Vitality make yummy toothpicks. Just place plain toothpicks in the last few drops of oil at the bottom of the bottle and let them sit for a day or two. Ta-da: tasty post-meal toothpicks!
20. Freshen your breath with a DIY breath spray. Using the last 6 drops of your Vitality oils, fill the bottle to the top with distilled water and add a spray top.
21. Flavor your own sea salt with the last little bit of Vitality oil in the bottle. Wait until you can’t get any more drops out of the bottle, but it still has a strong aroma. Fill the bottle with plain sea salt, seal, and wait at least two days before using.
How do you use your empty bottles?
Northern Lights Black Spruce essential oil offers a surprisingly sweet and reliably refreshing aroma. It’s like the friendly, northern cousin of other popular natural essential oils: Sandalwood, Frankincense, and Copaiba. Born and raised on the Northern Lights Farm in British Columbia, this Canadian essential oil is robust and complex, from the first whiff of warm, sweet wood to the deeper, smokier undertones that linger like the scent of a late-night campfire. Here are 10 wonderful ways to use this rich and woodsy oil blend to fill your home with the crisp refreshment of the deep Canadian woods.
Known to many in the Young Living family as simply NLBS, Northern Lights Black Spruce is a pure essential oil that offers a rich, invigorating scent. You’ll want to wear it all day—and you can with these topical tips!
1. Wear this calm and serene scent as a charming cologne or layer it with Lavender or Neroli for a perfumed pick-me-up.
2. Dilute with V-6™ or another carrier oil and apply to the bottoms of your feet, spine, and the base of your neck to infuse your evening with the tranquil aroma of nature.
3. Add a few drops to your favorite lotion or face cream to boost moisture as you dream about adventure in the Canadian Rockies.
4. Combine a few drops of Northern Lights Black Spruce with a complementary aroma like Cedarwood or Lavender for a massage oil reminiscent of a woodland spa.
In Your Diffuser
Take off to the Canadian forest by diffusing this serene scent in your home, car, or office.
5. Diffuse during quiet moments alone to bring the feeling of wide open spaces to your meditation practice.
6. Try our diffuser blend for a crisp, deep, woodsy smell:
5 drops Northern Lights Black Spruce
3 drops Cardamom
2 drops Lemon
7. Fill your car diffuser with NLBS before your commute or carpooling duty for its restful aroma.
8. Try a Young Living essential oil blend featuring this complex scent such as Shutran™, R.C.™, or Harmony™.
In Your Beard and Hair
The moisturizing properties of NLBS make it a great addition to your beard oil or hair serum.
9. Capture its refreshing scent in a beard oil by adding a few drops of Northern Lights Black Spruce and Copaiba to a lightweight carrier oil. Check out our beard-taming tips for even more ideas!
10. Add a few drops to your conditioner to bring the sensation of cool mountain breezes to your morning shower.
Use Acceptance essential oil blend for an uplifting aroma when you’re focusing on releasing unwanted feelings ✨🧘♀️✨
Acceptance blend is the perfect blend to use when you’re focused on opening your mind to be more accepting of new people, things, relationships, and possibilities in life. Pretty awesome. So how do you actually use it? Combine its uplifting fragrance with your affirmation practice or morning routine. Try a few of the affirmations and emotion techniques below.
Using essential oils aromatically is a great way to create a specific atmosphere in any of your spaces. They can help create an atmosphere that aromatically sparks a sense of peace, concentration, creativity, joy, or any other mood that you could benefit from in your home or office.
Recommended application practices
•Apply over thymus gland (just above where your ribs connect in the center of your chest, also called the heart chakra), wrists, and back of neck. Practice a few cycles of slow, deep breathing as you visualize inhaling an open, positive, accepting, expansive mindset and exhale negativity. Aim for long, slow, and complete exhalation, emptying your lungs to make room for deeper inhales. Go slow and work at your own pace. Begin by aiming for 60 full seconds of initial breathing.
•Add 6-10 drops of Acceptance to a handful of Epsom salt and add to a warm bath; soak for 20 minutes.
•Add 5 drops to a glass or stainless-steel basin with very warm water for a relaxing foot soak.
•Diffuse while repeating affirmations of acceptance in front of a mirror. When it comes to affirmations, there are many ways to use them; some like to write them on a card or save them as a screen saver to refer to and reflect on throughout the day. One recommendation is to treat them as meditation combined with intentional breathing. Combining deep breathing with oils is a no brainer; try a few of the recommendations below and share your favorites.
Repeat each affirmation to yourself while resting in a comfortable position.
Speak each affirmation aloud.
Place one hand on your heart/thymus gland (skin on skin contact is best) in front of a mirror; and while making deep eye contact with yourself, say each affirmation.
I am open and willing to receive new experiences.
I accept opportunities and people joyfully without fear or reservation.
I trust the wisdom of my highest potential to guide me to greater and greater new heights.
I willingly embrace the growth opportunities that come to me.
I love and accept myself and I extend that same acceptance to others.
I love and accept others and I extend that same acceptance to myself.
If you’re new to Young Living, you may not know why there is so much hype behind Valor® essential oil and why it is one of the most loved blends of all time. Founder D. Gary Young was inspired to create Valor after he read texts about Roman soldiers that stated they would bathe in essential oils as part of a three-day ceremony to prepare for war. Valor was designed to to inspire feelings of courage, a life of full adventure, and an attitude to never stop growing!
This perfectly balanced blend brings 5 powerful oils together in harmony to create an uplifting, invigorating, and empowering experience. Let’s take a closer look at these 5 oils and their key benefits for a deeper understanding of why this blend is a favorite for so many.
Black Spruce- Black Spruce essential oil comes from Young Living’s pristine Northern Lights Farm in British Columbia, Canada. This oil has a woodsy and invigorating scent that is popular to use during meditation to create a fresh aromatic atmosphere. Black spruce trees have amazing resilience. They can withstand and even thrive in extremely harsh and cold environments.
Camphor Wood- The original Valor formulation contained Rosewood oil, but when it was discovered that Rosewood was being over harvested in some parts of the world, Gary chose to be an industry leader in sustainability practices by reformulating with a more abundant species that offered the same benefits. Camphor trees are part of the evergreen family and can reach up to 40 meters in height and live to be more than 1,000 years old.
Geranium- This beautifully fragrant flower is native to south Africa and is famous for its comforting aroma that promotes feelings of inner peace and spiritual wellness. It includes the natural occurring constituents citronellol and geraniol and adds a hint of sweetness to the Valor blend. Geranium is often used to support the appearance of healthy-looking skin.
Blue Tansy- With over 300 constituents, this is a very powerful and complex oil. Blue Tansy’s primary constituents are Sabinene, Camphor, Chamazulene and Pinene. Chamazulene is what gives Blue Tansy is dark, ink-like color and is also why Valor has a distinct blue color. Blue Tansy is a luxurious oil for the skin has a been used for thousands of years.
Frankincense- In addition to elevated spiritual experiences, the benefits of Frankincense essential oil include maintaining radiant skin, connecting with your highest self, and promoting feelings of grounding and spiritual connectedness. Frankincense is often used to create a safe and comforting environment when diffused or inhaled. For this reason, the empowering presence of Frankincense is a popular addition to meditation and prayer practices. Frankincense has played an integral role in religious ceremonies for thousands of years.
The synergy of these power houses together is undeniable. There’s nothing else like Valor and for that reason, we think it’s one that you need to try for yourself.
How do you use Valor?
• Gear up for a demanding day or long to-do list by rubbing Valor on your feet, hands, and neck.
• Apply it on the bottoms of the feet, base of neck, shoulders, or massaged into temples.
• Massage Valor onto your wrists, base of neck, or chest before a big event, race, or presentation.
• Use it as part of Young Living’s signature Raindrop Technique®.
• Encourage a centered, balanced environment by diffusing Valor during your daily mediation session.
• Inhale Valor before presenting or a big meeting for its empowering and uplifting aroma.
• Wear it as a bold, inspiring personal fragrance to encourage feelings of confidence.
What is the difference between Kunzea, Tea Tree, and Manuka essential oils?
The kunzea plant is native to the southern coast of Australia and is referred to as “White Cloud” for its bulbous tops and whimsical blossoms. It grows wild along the southern coasts of Australia and Tasmania and has been used by native cultures for centuries. We extract Kunzea essential oil by steam distilling the leaves and green branchlets of the botanical.
Kunzea has similar properties and uses as Tea Tree essential oil, but it has a more pleasant scent and a milder sensation when applied topically. The aroma is spicy and woodsy but has a sweet scent as well. It contains high levels of alpha-pinene and eucalyptol, which make it awesome to use after a workout to soothe fatigued muscles. It is also great to add to your daily skin care routine. Apply it topically on your face to help reduce the appearance of blemishes. Since the scent of Kunzea is sweet, we also love diffusing it! Diffuse it in your home to help purify the air from unwanted odors and to create a relaxing atmosphere and a refreshing respiratory experience.
One of the oils used in our popular Purification® blend, Tea Tree essential oil is also known as Melaleuca Alternifolia or Melaleuca oil. This tree originates from Australia and France, and steam distillation is used to extract the essential oil from the leaves of the plant. The key naturally occurring constituents in Tea Tree are terpinen-4-ol, gamma-terpinene, and alpha-terpinene. It has long been a favorite in the beauty industry because of its countless beauty benefits.
Tea Tree’s aroma is very woodsy and masculine; it’s not often diffused because the scent is very strong and potent. It is more commonly used for topical application for its skin-cleansing properties and its ability to help maintain healthy-looking skin and reduce the appearance of blemishes. People love adding Tea Tree to homemade deodorants and household cleaners because it can help eliminate musky odors. You can also apply it on toenails or feet to help maintain the appearance of healthy skin and nails.
Manuka essential oil comes from the same botanical family as Tea Tree (Myrtaceae) and is distilled from the Leptospermum scoparium (manuka) tree. Steam distillation is used to extract the essential oil from the leaves and small stems of the tree, which is native to New Zealand and Australia. The key naturally occurring constituents in Manuka essential oil are leptospermone, copaene, and isoleptopsermone.
Manuka essential oil smells the sweetest and most mild of these three oils. It smells very rich, warm, and pleasant. Because of its gentle fragrance and numerous skin benefits, we love adding Manuka to our daily beauty regimen. It is so easy to add to your favorite skin products to support healthy-looking skin or to use as a spot treatment to reduce the appearance of blemishes. In fact, Manuka essential oil is one of the oils used in our Maximum-Strength Acne Treatment. You can also add Manuka to Thieves® Household Cleaner or diffuse it with Peppermint to help spice up the scent of your home. We love applying it along the bottoms of our feet after a long day!