Moms nurture their kids in every way—mentally, physically, and emotionally. They’re the all-purpose, everyday fixer of problems big and small. From an upset tummy to a broken heart, Dr. Mom is there to care, comfort, and cuddle whenever it’s needed.
Whether it’s swapping out soda for the benefits of NingXia Red or creating a calm, clean environment with naturally derived Thieves Household Cleaner, being Dr. Mom means you call the shots on what’s best for your family’s wellness. Get prepared with nine of our favorite mom must-haves and kid-safe essential oils to help care for kids!
This is more than just a fruit-infused drink! NingXia Red is a supplement every mom should have in her home because it helps to support energy levels, normal cellular function, whole-body wellness, and normal eye health—all in just 2-4 ounces daily.
This powerhouse includes the superfruit Ningxia wolfberry, also known as the goji berry. NingXia Red is also infused with essential oils like Lemon, Yuzu, Orange, and Tangerine—oils that are well known for containing powerful constituents like d-limonene and beta-pinene. It also contains a unique fruit blend packed with antioxidants: plum, aronia, cherry, blueberry, and pomegranate; these fruits help contribute to overall wellness. Antioxidants help to fight cell-aging oxidation.
Lavender is a calming oil that is known for its versatility. Whether you need skin support or a little help to calm down at bedtime, Lavender is your answer. The aroma of Lavender can help clear and clarify the mind, promote calm feelings, and fight occasional nervous tension by simply being diffused or applied topically. Create a peaceful bedtime by adding a few drops to your kid’s nightly bath, diffusing by their bed, or applying topically on their feet. You can also add it into lotions and creams to help cleanse and soothe minor skin irritations. Lavender is the perfect addition to any beach or pool bag—it can be applied to the skin after a long day in the sun!
Thieves essential oil blend
Thieves essential oil blend is a powerful combination of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils that fills any space with a rich, spicy aroma. As one of our most popular products, it’s no wonder that Thieves is included in so many of our home cleaning and personal care products. You can use Thieves by diffusing it in bedrooms during winter or fall season or applying it topically to the bottoms of feet!
Thieves Household Cleaner
Cleaning up messes is a part of motherhood. Whether it’s a juice spill on the floor, paint on the table, or an accident while potty training, ONE bottle of cleaning solution is always more convenient than grabbing a whole bucket of supplies. Thieves Household Cleaner is formulated with our powerful Thieves essential oil blend and is a concentrated, versatile solution that you can use to clean every room or mess in your home! The solution uses naturally derived, plant-based ingredients and doesn’t include any harsh or dangerous chemicals like many traditional cleaning products.
This all-purpose cleaner can clean just about anything and will be your go-to cleaner of choice. Use it on your countertops, floors, furniture, windows, and walls, in your oven, around the toilet, and on almost any surface that needs cleaning! Wherever you use it, you’ll feel good knowing it’s safe to use around everyone in your family—including pets!
Purification essential oil blend
We all know that kids can be stinky! That’s why Purification should be in every mother’s life. This blend is perfect to have in your hiking backpack or cleaning cabinet and is made up of six essential oils for the ultimate weapon against odors. Citronella, Lavandin, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Myrtle, and Tea Tree work together to create a refreshing, bright scent that keeps you and your family happy and comfortable. With Purification blend, you’ll never need to feel embarrassed by bad odors from cooking, laundry, pets, or anything else life throws your way. Diffuse it throughout your house or use a more targeted approach, so you always feel confident in your home, in the car, or on the go!
You can use Purification in the following ways:
• Add a few drops to laundry to give your wash a great-smelling boost.
• Place a few drops on cotton balls and stash them wherever necessary: the car, closets and drawers, air vents, or shoes.
• Use in the car with a USB Diffuser to eliminate lingering scents of fast food trips or the soccer carpool.
• Refresh linens with a spritz of Purification diluted with distilled water.
• Create an on-the-go air freshener with a spray bottle, distilled water, and Purification. Keep it in your bag to freshen up offices, public restrooms, hotel rooms, and cars.
• Apply it before hiking or spending time outdoors—and enjoy the outdoors annoyance free.
• Add to a cloth and keep in gym bags to help keep things smelling fresh.
Peace and Calming essential oil blend
Rowdy kids? Hectic bedtime routine? Peace and Calming will be your best friend! This oil blend contains Ylang Ylang, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Blue Tansy and is one of Young Living’s most popular blends used for creating a calm and peaceful environment. This blend is perfect to use while settling down for the night and has many uses:
• Diffuse around the home during stressful or exhausting situations to help create a peaceful environment.
• Combine with water in a spray bottle and spritz around your home before your kids get home from school.
• Diffuse in the car during a long car ride with your family to create a calm, comforting environment.
• Add a few drops to your kid’s bath before they go to bed for the night.
• Apply topically on the bottoms of feet before bedtime.
Thieves Foaming Hand Soap
This plant-based hand soap uses an instant foam pump, which makes it appealing and easy to use for little ones and will leave your skin clean, but not dry. Infused with Thieves essential oil blend—as well as extra Lemon and Orange essential oils—it contains no sulfates, dyes, synthetic fragrances, or harsh chemicals, making it the perfect option to have at every sink in your home!
Stress Away essential oil blend
Let’s be honest, being a mom is a tough job! That’s why you’ll love Stress Away! This oil blend is a unique combination of Lime essential oil and vanilla extract, which gives is a sweet, tropical aroma. It also includes Copaiba, Ocotea, and Lavender; all of these oils have strong properties that combine to make a powerful essential oil blend. You can use this oil topically on your neck, feet, or shoulders to promote relaxation and a calming environment. Its aroma is inviting and helps to calm the mind after a long day.
SleepyIze is part of our KidScents collection, which is an entire collection formulated specifically for kids. Each blend is pre-diluted and ready for topical and aromatic use. SleepyIze contains oils known to help create calm and peaceful feelings—Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Sacred Frankincense, and Valerian, along with Geranium, Tangerine, Bergamot, and Rue essential oils. Try adding a roller fitment to this oil for quick and easy application on the bottoms of feet before bed! Or you can add a few drops into a diffuser to help create a calm environment for your kids.
From boosting cleaning scents to soothing fatigued muscles, our new cheat sheet is a helpful reminder of the most amazing uses for 15 of our favorite essential oils!
Did you know Young Living has over 270 essential oils and blends? We have oils that improve the appearance of healthy-looking skin and blends you can diffuse to remind you of home. There’s even an entire line of dietary essential oils for infusing flavor into your favorite recipes and supporting overall wellness.
With so many oils to discover, it can be difficult remembering which oils do what. Say hello to our essential oils cheat sheet and goodbye to confusing PanAway® with Purification®. Our infographic puts 15 favorite essential oil uses at your virtual fingertips.
Citrus Fresh™ blend offers an uplifting, refreshing aroma that you can diffuse to transform any home, work, or classroom space! Citrus Fresh™ is one of Young Living’s most iconic, uplifting blends and combines six essential oils: Orange, Tangerine, Grapefruit, Lemon, Mandarin, and Spearmint. Citrus oils are known for their clean, uplifting, refreshing aromas, and Young Living’s Citrus Fresh is no exception. This blend contains the naturally occurring constituent limonene, which comes from the citrus essential oils; as well as carvone, which comes from Spearmint. It is the perfect oil to replace typical harsh chemical-based home fresheners by simply adding a few drops to your diffuser.
• Purifies the air of unwanted odors
• Creates a clean, fresh scent in any environment when diffused
• Can be inhaled to inspire feelings of creativity and joy
• Promotes feelings of happiness and comfort when diffused
• Has an energizing, invigorating, and uplifting scent
• Creates a focused and creative aromatic environment when diffused
• Can be used during times of occasional sadness to uplift the spirit
How can you use it?
• Try diffusing Citrus Fresh in the morning for an energizing atmosphere. It is the perfect scent for uplifting morning routines in the kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, or other high-traffic areas! One of our favorite diffuser blends is 4 drops Citrus Fresh, 3 drops Cedarwood, and 3 drops Stress Away™.
• Add Citrus Fresh to your cleaning with a DIY glass cleaner. Combine 1 capful Thieves® Household Cleaner, 3 drops Citrus Fresh, 2 drops Jade Lemon, 1 teaspoon white vinegar, and 3 cups water in a glass spray bottle.
• Consider adding a little summer sunshine to your personal care routine. Add a couple drops each of Citrus Fresh and Lemon essential oil to your hot shower for a fresh, aromatic steam session.
• Add Citrus Fresh to Thieves Household Cleaner to enhance and brighten the aroma.
• Use it as an everyday signature perfume by diluting it with a carrier oil and applying 2-3 drops behind your ears or on your wrists or neck.
• Create a linen spray by mixing Citrus Fresh and water in a glass spray bottle.
• Combine Citrus Fresh in your diffuser with oils like Christmas Spirit™, Frankincense, or Purification®.
Young Living also offers Citrus Fresh Vitality™, which is specifically formulated so you and your family can enjoy the benefits of the Citrus Fresh essential oil blend internally.
The difference between Citrus Fresh Vitality and Citrus Fresh essential oil is simply the labeling and recommended usage. This labeling allows you to share Young Living essential oils in all the ways they are intended. The essential oils in Citrus Fresh Vitality are the same 100-percent pure essential oils as their topical/aromatic counterparts. Citrus Fresh Vitality is labeled for dietary use and is the appropriate product to use when sharing dietary uses with others.
Citrus Fresh Vitality:
• May support your weight-management program*
• Provides antioxidant properties*
• Has an invigorating citrus flavor
• Contains cleansing properties*
• Contains Lemon Vitality essential oil, which can be supportive to the immune system*
• Supports overall wellness*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Find harmony amidst the many situations life throws at you by combining essential oils and calming techniques.
Before you jump into our tips, get a refresher on the best ways to use essential oils. Some of our easiest usage tips for topical and aromatic oils include:
• Gently rubbing oil between your hands and taking deep breaths while cupping your hands close to your nose.
• Applying oil to the nape of your neck or to pulse points, such as your wrists or temples.
• Diffusing oil in your space, whether at home, in the office, or in the car.
• Placing a few drops on your favorite diffuser jewelry or piece of clothing and using for inhalation.
Hit every red light on your morning commute? Find a passive-aggressive email in your inbox? Some days it feels like nothing is going right, and other days you simply wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Whatever the source of your frustration, take a minute to refocus and realign with these ideas.
Our favorite oils for irritability:
• Stress Away™: Unwind with this relaxing and comforting aroma.
• Forgiveness™: Forgive yourself and others with a scent that invites you to release negative feelings.
• Release™: Let go of anger and frustration and promote a balanced atmosphere with this rich, grounding aroma.
Try it yourself—use your favorite essential oil usage technique and try one of the suggestions below:
• Give yourself a 10-minute “time out” to wind down and refocus.
• Call a close friend or family member and talk it out.
• Take care of your basic needs. A quick nap or snack can do wonders when it comes to moodiness from lack of sleep or food.
• Get away for a minute with a book break, nature walk, or dance session with your favorite jam.
• Practice a positive affirmation: I am loving and forgiving.
Some days you just don’t feel like yourself. Whether you know the cause—an unexpected breakup or unresolved argument—or you’re simply stuck in a rut, being proactive about your feelings can help you take control. Try on some of the suggestions below and speak with a trusted friend to work through your emotions.
Our favorite oils for feeling stuck:
Sacred Mountain™: Promote feelings of strength, empowerment, grounding, and protection with this earthy aroma.
Tangerine or Grapefruit: Uplift your day with a bright, cheery scent.
Hope™: Restore your faith and reconnect with strength and stability with this grounding aroma.
Try it yourself—use your favorite usage technique and try one of the suggestions below:
• Focus on yourself. Schedule time every day for 30 minutes or more of self-care.
• Give yourself a treat with a relaxing night in.
• Write it out. Journal about your feelings, create a gratitude list, or write a thoughtful card to someone you’re grateful for.
• Practice a positive affirmation: I choose and deserve to be happy.
Between bills to pay, permission slips to sign, cupboards to fill, and texts to respond to, it’s no surprise that you sometimes feel like there are too many tabs open in your computer and in your mind. In the midst of the chaos, take a moment to center your life with the ideas below.
Our favorite oils for feeling overwhelmed:
Transformation™: Surround yourself with a scent that helps you replace negative beliefs with uplifting thoughts.
Peace & Calming®: Harness your positive energy with this relaxing and comforting aroma.
Grounding™: Diffuse this scent to enhance spirituality or encourage feelings of clarity.
Try it yourself—use your favorite usage technique and try one of the suggestions below:
• Focus on mindfulness and the present moment with a breathing exercise.
• Practice the art of delegation.
• Remember to let yourself say no to some things.
• Prioritize your to-do list. Once you know what’s most important, you’ll feel empowered to get started.
• Practice a positive affirmation: I let go of feeling overwhelmed, so I can see clearly.
The holiday season has officially began! No need to stress; we’ve got you covered with everything you’ll need to survive shopping this holiday season!
• Waking up extra early? Or maybe you were out too late with friends and family. Luckily, we have a secret weapon! NingXia Nitro® is a must this holiday season, and not just for the shopping survival. With NingXia Nitro, you’ll get a quick pick-me-up without the sugar or caffeine overload.* Infused with essential oils, botanical extracts, D-ribose, Korean ginseng, and green tea extract, NingXia Nitro supports alertness, as well as cognitive and physical fitness to give you the natural kick you need!*
• Smell good and feel good with Stress Away™ Roll-On. Swipe some Stress Away on your neck and wrists when you are out fighting crowds and waiting in long lines trying not to get caught up in the craziness. The relaxing, comforting aroma is perfect for applying to your wrists or your neck while you are on the go! You may even want to offer some to angry shoppers waiting in line with you! The combination of Vanilla and Lime is a wonderful conversation starter.
• Cold, dry lips abound in the wintertime, unfortunately. Cinnamint Lip Balm moisturizes and protects lips with a few simple, natural ingredients. It’s also great to swipe on knuckles and hands when they need a soothing balm after being out in the chilly wind. Lip balm ingredients: Cocos nucifera (Coconut) oil, Beeswax, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (Sweet almond) oil, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil, Lycium barbarum (Wolfberry) seed oil, Rosa rubiginosa (Rose hip) seed oil, Tocopherol, Mentha piperita† (Peppermint) oil, Citrus aurantium dulcis† (Orange) peel oil, Mentha spicata† (Spearmint) leaf extract, Cinnamomum zeylanicum† (Cinnamon) bark oil
• Protect yourself from all the yuckiness you may encounter in the crowds of people and dirty stores this season. Thieves® Spray and Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier are no-brainers! Quick and convenient, Thieves Spray is ideal for cleaning small surfaces such as shopping carts, door handles, and steering wheels. Thieves Spray uses only naturally derived, plant-based ingredients and the powerful spicy-citrus scent of Thieves essential oil blend. It’s safe to use around children and the perfect size to keep with you on the go!
Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier is quick and convenient for clean hands at any store! Use it for yourself or for your little ones with you! Infused with Thieves and Peppermint essential oils, along with aloe, Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier cleanses, purifies, and soothes skin, leaving a pleasant, spicy-sweet scent.
• After your shopping, unwind with Peace & Calming®! A blend of Ylang Ylang, Orange, Tangerine, Patchouli, and Blue Tansy, Peace & Calming is the perfect for helping you relax and unwind after fighting crowds, traffic, and long lines all day. The sweet, relaxing aroma can help create the peaceful atmosphere you need after a hectic day! Try adding a few drops to an Epsom salt bath or diffuse it in your room at bedtime!
We hope our holiday shopping survival kit gets you ready for the holiday season and helps you find the perfect gifts for your loved ones. More importantly, we hope it helps you shop quickly, so you can spend more time with your family and loved ones this holiday season!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Young Living products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Essential oils are precious to the very end, but when the final drop makes its way out of the dropper, then what? If you’re an essential oil lover, chances are you’ve wondered what to do with the little amber bottles you have lying around. We’ve got 21 options to keep those bottles functional to the last drop of oil and beyond!
YL tip: Some of these ideas require a clean essential oil bottle. To clean your bottle, peel off the label as much as you can, remove the oil dropper and all parts of the cap, and place all the pieces in a bowl of warm water with half a capful of Thieves® Household Cleaner. Soak everything for 10 minutes, then use 1 drop of Lemon essential oil on a cotton ball to get rid of any sticky remains of the label.
1. Create your own DIY roll-on with your favorite essential oils and some V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex. Check out our post for some ideas to get started.
2. Infuse Epsom salt with the last few drops of oil in the bottle. Remove the lid and oil dropper from a mostly empty EO bottle. Put the bottle, dropper, and 1 cup of Epsom salt in a sealed container for at least 48 hours. Open it up and voilà: bath salts infused with a soothing aroma! Even better, you can add multiple bottles to a container of Epsom salt to get different infusions with stronger scents.
3. Make a centerpiece with one or two flowers in the bottles, turning them into little bud vases.
4. Jazz up your twinkly lights! Thoroughly clean your empty bottles, remove the oil dropper and all parts of the cap, and gently press the bottle over each bulb on a string of lights. These are a great additional to any holiday party.
5. Fill a bottle with your carrier oil of choice to have on the go.
6. Create a DIY face serum to add moisture to your skin care routine. Our top picks are Geranium, Tea Tree, and Rosemary. Store your new serum in an empty essential oil bottle.
7. Use the bottles to hold your toiletries for travel. Things like hair oil, face serum, and baby powder fit easily in a little EO bottle; plus, they’ll free up that much-needed space in your carry-on.
8. Try your hand at a DIY custom blend with the last few drops of your favorite oils. You’ll love creating a unique aroma to use in your diffuser, and you can store your creation in an empty oil bottle.
9. Infuse a cotton ball with remaining oil and use it as a multipurpose deodorizer. Stuff a cotton ball in the bottle, put the lid back on, and leave it for three days. Take the cotton ball out—use tweezers if necessary—and place it anywhere that could benefit from a refreshing scent: inside stinky shoes, at the bottom of a trash can, in a gym bag, and any other place that needs an aromatic makeover.
10. Share your most-used oil with a friend by putting some of it in a clean, empty bottle.
11. Put together an essential oil travel kit by putting smaller amounts of the oils you use most--plus some of our recommendations—in empty 5-ml bottles. Put the collection in a cosmetic bag so it’s ready to go when you are.
12. Take your empty bottles to a local glass recycler.
13. Refresh your drawers or closets by removing the lid of a nearly empty bottle and letting the aroma permeate the space. Make sure to position the bottle where it won’t tip—you wouldn’t want to spill anything on your favorite sweater!
14. Make an all-natural perfume or cologne. Store your signature scent in a clean, empty bottle.
15. Use the last of the oil to make a mattress refresher. Instead of cleaning out the bottle, fill it ¾ full with baking soda. Allow it to sit overnight for the baking soda to absorb the oil fully. Sprinkle the mixture over your mattress and let it sit for an hour; then vacuum up the baking soda and breathe in the freshness!
16. Make smelling salts for when you want a fresh fragrance around. Fill a clean, empty bottle with Epsom salt, add 4 drops of a refreshing scent—we love Spearmint—and shake well. Open the cap and inhale whenever you need a whiff of something fresh.
17. Dilute your go-to oils for use with kids. See our handy guide for diluting oils for use with children and babies.
18. Divide oils into two bottles. Keep the regular top on one bottle and add a roller top to the other, so you can easily use your favorite oil in multiple ways.
19. Make your own flavored toothpicks with the remainder of your Vitality™ oils. Cinnamon Bark Vitality, Peppermint Vitality, and even Citrus Fresh™ Vitality make yummy toothpicks. Just place plain toothpicks in the last few drops of oil at the bottom of the bottle and let them sit for a day or two. Ta-da: tasty post-meal toothpicks!
20. Freshen your breath with a DIY breath spray. Using the last 6 drops of your Vitality oils, fill the bottle to the top with distilled water and add a spray top.
21. Flavor your own sea salt with the last little bit of Vitality oil in the bottle. Wait until you can’t get any more drops out of the bottle, but it still has a strong aroma. Fill the bottle with plain sea salt, seal, and wait at least two days before using.
How do you use your empty bottles?
Northern Lights Black Spruce essential oil offers a surprisingly sweet and reliably refreshing aroma. It’s like the friendly, northern cousin of other popular natural essential oils: Sandalwood, Frankincense, and Copaiba. Born and raised on the Northern Lights Farm in British Columbia, this Canadian essential oil is robust and complex, from the first whiff of warm, sweet wood to the deeper, smokier undertones that linger like the scent of a late-night campfire. Here are 10 wonderful ways to use this rich and woodsy oil blend to fill your home with the crisp refreshment of the deep Canadian woods.
Known to many in the Young Living family as simply NLBS, Northern Lights Black Spruce is a pure essential oil that offers a rich, invigorating scent. You’ll want to wear it all day—and you can with these topical tips!
1. Wear this calm and serene scent as a charming cologne or layer it with Lavender or Neroli for a perfumed pick-me-up.
2. Dilute with V-6™ or another carrier oil and apply to the bottoms of your feet, spine, and the base of your neck to infuse your evening with the tranquil aroma of nature.
3. Add a few drops to your favorite lotion or face cream to boost moisture as you dream about adventure in the Canadian Rockies.
4. Combine a few drops of Northern Lights Black Spruce with a complementary aroma like Cedarwood or Lavender for a massage oil reminiscent of a woodland spa.
In Your Diffuser
Take off to the Canadian forest by diffusing this serene scent in your home, car, or office.
5. Diffuse during quiet moments alone to bring the feeling of wide open spaces to your meditation practice.
6. Try our diffuser blend for a crisp, deep, woodsy smell:
5 drops Northern Lights Black Spruce
3 drops Cardamom
2 drops Lemon
7. Fill your car diffuser with NLBS before your commute or carpooling duty for its restful aroma.
8. Try a Young Living essential oil blend featuring this complex scent such as Shutran™, R.C.™, or Harmony™.
In Your Beard and Hair
The moisturizing properties of NLBS make it a great addition to your beard oil or hair serum.
9. Capture its refreshing scent in a beard oil by adding a few drops of Northern Lights Black Spruce and Copaiba to a lightweight carrier oil. Check out our beard-taming tips for even more ideas!
10. Add a few drops to your conditioner to bring the sensation of cool mountain breezes to your morning shower.