The 6 best oils to cleanse your skin.
We’ve shared the superpowers of our most popular oils; it’s time to add “cleanses the skin” to the list! Why is that a superpower? Certain essential oils have skin-cleansing properties that can help reduce the appearance of blemishes and improve the appearance of healthy- and even-looking skin, no matter the skin type. We consider that a serious superpower!
We know it sounds absurd that oils can help cleanse delicate facial skin—we usually shy away from any product that might make our skin oily. How can essential oils work as skin cleansers? Can they really cleanse and promote the appearance of healthy-looking skin? And while we’re at it, can you put essential oils directly on your skin? The answer to all these questions is a resounding YES!
How to harness the cleansing power of essential oils
Adding essential oils to your skin care routine is easier than you think! Here are a handful of ways you can use our six skin-cleansing favorites.
1. Tea Tree Tea Tree is a true multitasker—it moisturizes as it cleanses! The purifying properties of this essential oil make it one of our top picks, especially for those who have oily or blemish-prone skin. Speaking of blemishes, try applying 1 drop to a cotton swab and use it as a spot treatment to help reduce the appearance of bothersome blemishes!
BTW, it’s in this product: Maximum Strength Acne Treatment
2. Geranium Want to know the secret to beautiful, glowing skin? Geranium essential oil. A secret no longer, you can “go for the glow” at home by adding a few drops of this potent oil to your current skin care routine. You’ll find it harder to spot those uneven areas but easier to see healthier, radiant-looking skin!
3. Frankincense No skin care list would be complete without Frankincense. Use this one if you like an oil with an earthy, uplifting aroma and the power to reduce the appearance of uneven skin tones. With Frankincense, a fresh, dewy glow is only an essential oil bottle away!
BTW, it’s in this product: ART® Gentle Cleanser
4. Grapefruit Citrus lovers, unite! Our cold-pressed Grapefruit essential oil is a treat for the senses and the skin. Add this citrusy oil to your favorite skin care products to enjoy its sweet, invigorating scent as you cleanse. As an added bonus, you’ll also enjoy silky, soft, smooth-looking skin.*
5. Orange As surprising as it seems, you can use Orange essential oil for oily skin. Apply Orange to oily areas, including that pesky T-zone, before bed and see if you don’t wake up with skin that appears smoother and more balanced. Your baby-soft skin will thank you for using this citrusy oil.*
BTW, it’s in this product: Charcoal Bar Soap
6. Blue Tansy Meet your nighttime routine’s new best friend! Like a true best friend, Blue Tansy is all about making you feel your best. As your skin care sidekick, this essential oil is all about helping reduce the appearance of blemishes while it cleanses and beautifies the skin. Make sure to dilute it though! Its rich, blue color is beautiful in the bottle but might leave a mark if you apply it undiluted.
If reducing the appearance of blemishes is high on your skin care to-do list, try these tips for treating acne. Follow up those treatments with an essential oil cleanse for truly timeless-looking skin!
Which of these essential oils will make an appearance in your skin care routine? Let us know in the comments!
*Avoid direct sunlight or UV rays for up to 12 hours after applying this product.
DIY men’s cologne
Some men live to conquer Mount Everest and wrestle polar bears, and some would rather roll down hills and make balloon animals with the kids. Whatever your day job or hobbies, this DIY men’s cologne will help you find the fragrance that captures the best version of yourself, whether that be Indiana Jones or James Bond.
Making cologne from essential oils doesn’t take an ancient discovery or a complicated heist. All you need is your favorite manly oils and a few basic supplies, listed below.
Before you get started, let’s take a look at the notes that make up a cologne.
Top notes quickly evaporate as they make initial impressions and are usually the first things you smell.
Examples: Lime, Bergamot, Juniper
Middle notes follow quickly after the top notes, tend to be mellow, and create the core of the scent.
Examples: Valor, Pine, Cypress, Stress Away
Base notes are the lingering scents that ground and complement the other notes and are what you smell at the end of the day.
Examples: Cedarwood, Sacred Sandalwood, Patchouli
1. Combine oils in the empty bottle until your essential oil blend is balanced. Aim for 30-45 drops of oil in total.
2. Once you like how the blend smells, fill the rest of the bottle with V-6.
3. Insert the roller fitment and put the cap on.
4. Print your custom label (click here to print)
5. Wrap the label around the bottle and secure with transparent tape.
6. Apply your DIY cologne to your neck and wrists.
7. Smell amazing.
Scents to Try: Whether you want to smell like an adventurer traveling the open seas or a dapper undercover agent, we have the blend for you!
For a deep and spicy scent, this rich combination adds just enough mystery.
15 drops Bergamot essential oil
8 drops Patchouli essential oil
5 drops Valor essential oil
5 drops Cedarwood essential oil
Experience a spicy kind of clean with just a hint of sweet—perfect for all undercover operations.
10 drops Sacred Sandalwood essential oil
6 drops Stress Away™ essential oil blend
6 drops Black Pepper essential oil
5 drops Vetiver essential oil
5 drops Cedarwood essential oil
Want more manly ideas? Check out Young Living’s Shutran™ line, which includes shaving and grooming products featuring natural ingredients and essential oils—formulated just for men. The Shutran blend adds hints of Lemon and Lavender to Idaho Blue Spruce and Northern Lights Black Spruce, then brings in Ylang Ylang and Hinoki to round out for the ideal scent appealing to both men and women. Use it in your DIY men’s cologne or check out these other products.
Ready to learn more essentials for him? Check out “The Essential Man: 3 Awesome Oil Life Hacks” and “Essential Oils (and More!) for Your Inner Athlete.”
No two women’s lives look the same. But whether their days are filled with ball games or ballet recitals, boardrooms or business-building, most women have one thing in common: We’re incredible. Although it’s rewarding to accomplish so much every day, it can also be exhausting. Take time to stop, relax, and pamper yourself with our essential oils for women—because you deserve it!
Women are often too familiar with monthly moodiness, so what better way to simmer down than a natural remedy? Dragon Time essential oil is a proprietary blend that features a sweet, herbaceous aroma and supports feelings of stability and calm.
Progessence Plus™ Serum helps promote relaxation, harmony, and balance—a powerful trifecta for creating a pleasant retreat from daily tasks. This plant-based product also nourishes and moisturizes skin, making it an excellent essential oil blend for women who want to look and feel great!
Fennel Vitality™ is another great essential oil for women’s health. It’s fantastic in post-meal tonics and teas for digestive support!
Lady Sclareol™ essential oil blend for women has a warm floral scent that inspires feminine feelings and provides a relaxing experience when diffused. We could all use a little relaxation in our life, right?
Grapefruit Vitality™ is a must-have essential oil for women! It offers cleansing properties and supports the lymphatic system and weight management.* Did we mention it smells like a citrus orchard breeze on a Sunday afternoon? Yum!
Boost your beauty kit with Geranium essential oil. It helps promote healthy, radiant-looking hair, and it maintains the appearance of healthy-looking skin. It’s a game changer!
How do you use Lavender Vitality?
• Place a few drops in your water in the evening to help improve sleep quality for occasional sleeplessness.*
• Add 2 drops to a vegetarian capsule to take advantage of Lavender Vitality’s cleansing and antioxidant properties.*
• Balance Lavender Vitality in savory dishes with herbs such as thyme, rosemary, and oregano.
• Combine citrus flavors with Lavender Vitality’s earthy and floral flavor for unique desserts and refreshing drinks.
• Are you a pro at making homemade jams? Lavender Vitality will give your recipe the extra burst of flavor you are looking for.
• Add a few drops of Lavender Vitality to your favorite lemonade.
• Make a homemade sweet and minty mouth spray by combining 3-5 drops of Lavender Vitality with 3-5 drops of Peppermint Vitality in a small glass spray bottle.
• Use Lavender Vitality as a supplement to ease occasional nervous tension.*
• Add it to your homemade ice cream, cake batter, frosting, tea, smoothies, or lemonade. With just 1 drop, Lavender Vitality adds a refreshing, slightly floral taste to any dish!
• Add it to savory dishes like marinades for grilled fish and veggies and vinaigrettes. There are endless possibilities when used in everyday cooking.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Young Living products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
What you might not know about activated charcoal will make you love our Charcoal Bar Soap!
Everyone is talking about activated charcoal, and you can find it in all kinds of products because of its versatility; but this incredible ingredient is nothing new. Its unique properties were used as early as the 1700s, and it has since been used in many applications.
What is activated charcoal?
Activated charcoal is essentially pure carbon—the natural element you learned about in fifth grade chemistry. Typical charcoal on the market is derived from slow-cooked wood. It gets “activated” by a process in which the cooked wood gets reheated at very high temperatures in the presence of natural gases such as oxygen found in the air. Young Living’s charcoal, however, is sourced from coconut shells/husks instead of wood, making it a more sustainable source.
The neat thing about charcoal is that once it gets activated, its structure turns into a very intricate and porous surface, so much so that it’s an amazing adsorbent—meaning it can bind molecules to itself very effectively. Utilizing these absorbent properties, we put together a unique formula using coconut-derived, naturally activated charcoal, along with other amazing ingredients that make the best charcoal soap bar ever created!
Our Charcoal Bar Soap’s naturally derived formula includes powerful skin-cleaning agents such as activated charcoal; moisturizing ingredients that include olive oil, wolfberry oil, jojoba oil, and aloe extract; and the bright, fresh scent of our Orange Blossom essential oil blend. This versatile bar soap can be used to cleanse and deodorize your body or included in your skin care routine to maintain a clean complexion regardless of your skin type.
Charcoal Bar Soap is:
• Formulated with skin-purifying activated charcoal derived from coconuts
• Infused with our Orange Blossom essential oil blend (Lavender, Patchouli, Rosemary, and Lemon essential oils)
• Made without sulfates, phthalates, parabens, dyes, synthetic fragrances, or preservatives
• Vegan and cruelty-free
• Perfect for combination, oily, or acne-prone skin
Charcoal Bar Soap also:
Leaves skin clean, soft, and smooth
• Cleanses excess oil without stripping the skin
• Helps maintain a clear, healthy-looking complexion
The new Savvy Minerals by Young Living® Eyeshadow Palette No. 1 is AMAZING! Each shadow is infused with coconut oil, shea butter, and lavender essential oil for velvety smooth application and easy blending and building. This palette gives you all you need in an eye shadow palette—colors that complement each other and that give multiple style options. You can easily take your eye makeup from a simple day look, to a dramatic ‘night out’ smokey eye using this palette. Since the powders are pressed, it’s convenient to take on all your Summer travels, or if you’re a busy woman, throw it in your purse and apply it on the go! The eye shadows are vegan and cruelty-free, great for sensitive skin, and made with naturally derived ingredients.
What is a cleansing oil, and how does it work?
Have you ever thought, How will an oil clean oil off my face? Won’t it make my skin more oily? Traditional cleansers can strip your skin of oil and leave it dry. This encourages your skin to produce more pore-clogging oil. The oil cleansing method uses clarifying and cleansing oils to remove makeup and impurities while softening and moisturizing the skin. Just like the basic chemistry concept of “like dissolves like,” oil will dissolve oil. And oil alone will not produce blemishes. Breakouts are a result of many factors, including hormones, bacteria, and dead skin cells. Your skin naturally lubricates itself with oil, and it naturally produces oil because it needs it.
Mirah™ Luminous Cleansing Oil is made to remove makeup and other products that leave residue on your face. It’s gentle on your skin and tough on pore-clogging buildup to improve texture and leave your skin glowing. Mirah Luminous Cleansing Oil:
• Removes impurities like makeup and water-resistant sunscreen
• Won’t clog pores
• Rinses clean with water and leaves no heavy, oily residue
• Softens and moisturizes
• Formulated for all skin types
• 100 percent plant-based and naturally derived ingredients
• Not tested on animals
• Formulated without parabens, sulfates, phthalates, petrochemicals, animal-derived ingredients, synthetic preservatives, synthetic fragrances, or synthetic dyes/colorants
The carefully selected essential oils and carrier oils in this product easily remove stubborn makeup, dirt, and grease while also providing deep hydration without clogging pores. It contains powerful ingredients, including:
• Luxury oils such as babassu, watermelon, and marula
• Jojoba seed oil to remove makeup and help skin retain moisture without clogging pores
• Argan oil, which has a high percentage of fatty acids and antioxidants and supports healthy-looking skin
• Sacred Sandalwood, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, Geranium, Lemon, Coriander, Roman Chamomile, and Rose essential oils
• Joy™ essential oil blend
How do you use it?
Simply massage 2-3 pumps into skin for one minute, rinse with water and wash cloth and pat dry to reveal fresh, moisturized, glowing skin.